Quick Facts - A General Overview of the Residential Building Permit Application Process
For any residential, remodel, or accessory structure work to your home, you will need to reference the following:
The first step you will need to take is to submit your plans to the Architectural Control Committee (ACC) for the subdivision your property is located in. For example, in HSB Proper, North, South and West, the contact person is Sam Tarbet and his phone number is 830-598-2553. You will need to submit 4 sets of plans to the ACC with a list of materials being used and how the finished project will look along with any other information they require. Also, you will need to provide a site plan showing where any new structure or addition will be placed on the lot with measurements from all 4 property lines.
Once the Committee approves these plans, they will stamp and sign all 4 sets and return 3 sets to you which you will need to bring to the City’s Development Services Department with the completed Building Permit Application to include the sub-contractor information requested on Attachment A and the homeowner and contractor signatures on Attachment B.
We then send the plans electronically or via courier to ATS Engineers for review. Once ATS has completed their review and approved the plans, we will notify you that they are ready to be paid for and the permit issued. The permit fee will include a construction clean up and compliance deposit in the amount equal to the permit cost or no less than $100. For example, a permit for a deck is $100, therefore; the deposit will be $100 and a total of $200 will be due to issue the permit. Another example is, the permit fee for a small kitchen plumbing project is $50, therefore; the deposit will be $100 and a total of $150 will be due to issue the permit. The deposit portion of the fee will be eligible for refund after a passing final inspection, less any deductions for violations or reinspections.
Check the Contractor's Corner page for checklists, application, and helpful information for the building permit process.
- 4 plans to the ACC for approval.
- 3 approved, stamped, and signed plans from the ACC taken to the City of HSB with a completed Building Permit Application. No payment will be due to the City until the review process is complete and the permit is ready to be issued.
- The City's engineering firm reviews the plans and returns them to the City. Typical turn around time is 5-7 days although, it may take up to 2 weeks for plan review to be completed.
- Permit holder is notified that the plans are ready to be paid for and the permit issued.
- Required inspections are requested by calling 830-598-9959 or 830-598-9972 by 4:30 P.M. and are scheduled for the next business day. No inspections will be scheduled for the same day they are requested.
- Once final inspection has passed and is complete, the City will process that permit's file, issue a Certificate of Occupancy (if needed), and issue a refund of the deposit less any deductions for violations or reinspections. Processing time for deposit refunds is approximately 2 weeks.