Grinder Pump Systems
Any time a resident sees the red light on, even if it is just for a few seconds, they should contact the City Utility office, including after hours and on weekends.
If you experience problems with your sewer system, please call the City prior to calling a plumber. The Emergency Water/Sewer phone number is the same as the office number:
The grinder pump assembly is the central part of the customer's sewer system. The wastewater is collected in the reservoir until the water level reaches a point where an internal float turns on the grinder pump.
Several problems can cause a grinder system to fail. These problems include:
- Disposal of non-biodegradable materials down the toilet.
- Feminine hygiene product lodged in the grinder mechanism.
- Grease or powdered soap scum build up in the reservoir, causing float control failure.
- Electrical problems including house electrical breakers tripping, fire ants, and component failure.
Customers can help prevent costly grinder pump repairs by taking steps to prevent the common things that cause failure. Here are a few steps:
- Preventive measures that will help maintain a long and dependable service are:
- Pour enzymes (free at City Hall) down the drain to promote treatment process within the grinder basin.
- Never disconnect or turn off the breaker to grinder pump when leaving town. Toilet or faucet leaks can overflow grinder basins, back up into house drains and cause damage to pumps
- Ensure that no trash is flushed down the sewer drains (grinder blades jam and the pump will not work).
- Pour grease in a container and put it in the trash instead of pouring it down the drain (grease coagulates in the cool water of grinder basins, restricting on/off float switches).
- Be alert to any unusual noises or red light coming from the grinder system and report them to the City as soon as possible, even after hours, at 830-598-8741.
Please make sure everyone who utilizes your home is aware of these facts
If you need further information or have any question related to the grinder pumps contact the Field Utilities Dispatcher at 830-598-9910.